This is a Candidate Rundown for the 2022 election for Durango, CO. There are also links to other sites that give some important information on candidates, voting, and ballot information. It is important to understand who you are voting for and why, because it helps in making an informative decision about important political issues that affect your community. It has been shown that having political knowledge incentivizes voting turnouts.
Our goal is to provide students with resources that will help to increase their political knowledge. This is so they can better understand how both local, state, and federal politics operate and become more knowledgeable on how electoral processes work and the candidates that are running in elections at all levels of government so that students can have a direct say in the issues that directly affect them and their communities.
- Sonnie Douma Aidoo, Blaise Redus, and Matthew Schaeffer
FLC Candidate Information: CO ballot
Heidi Ganahl: Republican
Secretary of State:
Pam Anderson: Republican
State Offices Continued:
Dave Young: Democratic
State Board of Education Member (at large):
Kathy D. Plomer: Democratic
La plata County Commissioner (District 1):
Clyde Church : Democratic
Tiffany Lee: Democratic
Allison Aichele: Democratic
What's up with all of these judges?
In Colorado, judges end up on the ballot "for retention." That is, they are nominated by boards of legal professionals and appointed by the Governor, and then the public gets to vote on whether to keep (or retain) those judges after 2 years on the bench. To aid voters in this decision, the CO Office of Judicial Performance Evaluation conducts a detailed review of each judge and publishes the report on their website. Click here to check it out to get the full rundown on each CO judge on your ballot.
Here are a few more resources to help you vote your full ballot confidently:
- Ballotready.org gives some information about each race for any address you enter.
- The Colorado Sun provides a comprehensive CO voter guide for the 2022 Election
- https://www.vote411.org/ provides a way to get a sample ballot, and getting the local sample ballot would be helpful to make sure you’re hitting everything
- Colorado League of Women Voters Guide and Recorded Candidate Forums
- Colorado Public Radio has a robust guide to all races in CO
- The Durango Herald has a lot of useful stuff on local candidates and issues